Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 22, 2010

40-Strong

Birthday thoughts from Stu:

Many well wishers hit me up today with some subtle jabs and some with encouragements and then there is my wife who absolutely went over the top by putting an over 40 slogan on my car windows......all of them.  Ok, and filled the car with black balloons.  Did I mention I had to take the kids to school- listening to car horns honking at 7 30 am?  That is my birthday so far.  Looking forward to my Montana sis coming in, couple of family members and mom and dad.

40 is cool.  Not too worried about it.  Most people freak when they hit 28, but for me- hey, one step closer to Jesus.  Bones are pretty strong.  Think my mind is in there too.  Thinking about a physical fitness comeback.  Been thinking about that for a long time.  Regardless, I'll take the 40.  I think there is an anticipation for more now.   More of God.  More influence.  More substance in Jesus.  More obedience, quicker obedience.  A willingness to be teachable and go wherever God wants me to go.  More kindness....more gentleness; especially to the "Sprint" customer care lady.  Much more gentleness now that I think of it.  Some get mellow with age, and some get cranky and peel.  I think I want to be more refined.  Like an old iron.  You know the classic metal ones with black handles and turn knobs for the heat setting.  You know the ones that weigh like 9 1/2 pounds.  The modern plastic ones just won't compare with how those things roll.  I think I want to age like one of those.  It is ok to be outdated, but still be valued and effective! 

How bout furniture.  The new stuff is cheap and light when you move, but the knobs break off.  Give me a solid wood furniture piece.  Skip the old cars.  They are sweet, but the gas is really not realistic.  Blankets are better old, unless they never get washed.  Old cutlery (like grandma's peach knife) is greater with age.  Puppies are cute, but an old dog just, well, you know it is all about relationship and time and such.

So no more subtle digs on geriatrics and canes and metamucil and such please.  This old iron is rollin!

Peace- Stuart

1 comment:

jennifer royall said...

Love it -- you ole, wise iron -- and now with a 10-year-old son. Getting older does have its good points.

Love ya,
J