Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don't Settle

Recently talked to a friend about his disappointments and depressions in life.  I didn't want to pick up the phone myself really.  Not because I didn't want to talk but because I was struggling much of the day thinking a lot of the lack in my life.  Lack of this in the church, lack of that in my leadership as a father.  Not being as far along as maybe I thought I should be or whatever.  As dude kept on talking, all I could do is hear that brother wavering on some bad decisions.  A week ago, dude was feeling right on point, feeling like God was speaking to him.  As I listened all I could hear him saying was. "Yada, yada, yada....Jesus is not enough."  Now that is not what he was saying, you know....but that is what I heard.  Depression had begun to set in because his decisions made a week ago that he was passionate about, sure about, strong about left him this weekend, alone, iso/bored and feeling like a loser.  I was asked if God was "punishing me for bad decisions?"  We re-winded the week and recollected that the decisions he previously made were solid.  They were made to glorify God.  They were made to bring order and stability in his life.  But when he made his decisions and the issues exited stage left, all that was left were some crickets.  Can you hear them chirping?  Zero activity in his life.  And you know, I truly felt for a brother, but I didn't want to rescue him from his "narrow gate" that scripture talks of.  Denying self and going for God almost always leads us to death of self.  And folks, death is not fun.  It means sometimes isolation and fear and roads less....I mean never before traveled.  As I began to grab myself from my own depression and downcast state (right before the phone rang), I counseled him on what I knew to be true in the Bible.  Going God's way does not promise to deliver the right away answer, the right now breakthrough, the quick cut solution to all the things we long for (success, companionship, etc). As the call went on we recognized that when we are dying to our "self-life", our agenda, the things that we reason are best for us, we get what I call the wiggle.  That wiggle is the last ditch effort to go back and go to what we know is comfortable.  I asked dude if going back to those things would make him happy....he hesitated and really didn't say much.  I said it a different way explaining that when we wiggle, God will usually do one of two things.  He will wait til we lose the whine.  He will let us keep going through the pain (see Israelites in the desert) until they LEARN to be grateful.  That could be two weeks or two years.  OR.... He will give us what we want.  Now you know what I am about to say, but here goes.  What we want is not going to be what we need.  Why?  Cause it ain't from God.  It is our vision and our desire.  That thing will be fun for a season then God will reveal later, "hey, you are miserable because of what you wanted.  You wanted this and I gave it to you, but guess what, you really need ME."   Jesus.  You are enough for me Lord.  Thank you for the call Dude.  Didn't need to hear all the want in that brother really (I could barely listen to my own), but as I went deep in the Word, You did what you promised You would do (bring remembrance to me of all things.)  As I helped a brother with your Word and your Spirit reminder, You so helped me.  Remember today with me friends.... Jesus is enough.  Period. Don't settle with the wiggle itch, it will only be unsatisfying.  Stand firm with your decisions....Trust God for a GODLY MATE, let God LIFT YOU UP instead of yourself, DON'T CUT CORNERS with your finances etc.... God will bring your blessing as you walk upright before Him.  And His provision will be good and no regret!  DON'T SETTLE - Stu

No comments: