Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 10, 2010

Sincere Love


"Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart.  Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible through the word of God which lives forever." 1 Peter 1:22-23.

This word is a good word.  The words that stick out to me are bolded for this discussion.  Sincere and fervent.  Going through some stuff and not really feeling loved you know, not valued and struggling with how to deal with a few bretherenses.  Trying to be a part of a company of people who are committed to Christ and each other.  So often, petty stuff just gets in the way.  To love sincerely....hmmmmm. What is that?  Sincere : not hypocritical or deceitful; open; genuine.  Well that is good.  We are to be open, not to pull punches.  Not to "act" like everything is ok and it isn't then go around with a mask on, acting like we are alright.  God tells us to love the brethren with sincerity.  I think I love loyalty so much because it is committed.  I know who I am with.  When relationally I come into a conflict with someone I fear that it all is going to get undone.  I am going to lose it.  So my fear naturally makes me put on a mask.  Act like it is ok.  Even if it isn't.  Man that is hypocritical.  God is wanting not just kindness love.  Not just patient love.  Not just forgiving love.  But sincere love.  You know when Jesus told Peter that he knew about Peter forsaking him.  When Jesus rebuked the religious Pharisees.  When Jesus spoke to the Father in agonizing pain, "Father, why have you forsaken me?"  I am longing today for sincerity.  God I want to be sincere.  With my brothers.  It is so hard.  You know, cause in yeilding to sincerity, it means to take off masks and take risks, but the reward is written in Peter's epistle as he says that we actually PURIFY our SOULS through obeying the word of truth  through the Spirit (of the Living God living in us as believers) by HAVING SINCERE LOVE- for our brothers.  So put it more directly....insincerity is not only falling short, it is DISOBEDIENCE.  That means impurity.  Wow.  Too often I think that if I am not truly true with my brothers and sisters in Christ it is a choice.  Just my choice, but in reality, witholding sincerity is wrong.  The last part here is fervent love.  You know as we grow in sincerity, we probably will lose some dear friendships cause truly many people can't handle candor.  Many people don't want sincerity, they want casuality and distance.  Well that is impossible in the Church of the living God.  When we take risks to love with sincerity, I have to believe that we will see solid friendships become more solid.  Through the fires of testing.  When that happens, loyalty is birthed.  Loyalty to our friends and brothers, and a redefined loyalty to our Christ.  That momentum is the birth of fervency in relationship.  How much ferver do you feel towards your church brethren?  Catch a fire and make our hearts sincere Lord!  - Stu

No comments: