Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 11, 2011

What Kinda Church We Is?

Reading a magazine article from Neue Magazine.  Francis Chan, renowned contemporary Christian author was interviewed about resigning from his mega church.  Chan lends some great thought about the transition away from the "Big Church"....

Chan Writes:

"Over the years as I studied the Bible more, I saw so much that we were missing." Chan says, "With the elders as well, we sat down and realized, 'where did we get this idea that the goal of the church was to fill a room just to hear the word of God and sing worship songs to Him?'  There's so much more in Scripture.  So as we saw those things, whether it was caring for the poor, reaching the lost, loving one another- pretty major themes- we realized, 'Wow, we've neglected a lot of those things.'  As Chan and the elders of Cornerstone Church encouraged their community to get involved in their neighborhoods and take discipleship more seriously, Chan became frustrated by the lack of commitment he witnessed."

I can give a strong message and people will not their heads and its like, 'ok, cool, he gave a tough message.'  But in the confines of the local church, when I'm with these people day in and day out, I'm like: 'Wait, you haven't applied that message.  Let's come up with ways in which you have to do it and not skirt around it.'  Well, that really bothers people."  Chan says.  "And pretty soon they're like, 'You know what, never mind, quit pushing me; I'm going to go to another church,...'i guess I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to be rejected by people who've been in the church for 10 years or more, and it's pretty painful."

Chan's dissatisfaction with church extends beyond his experiences; when he starts talking about his vision for a new kind of church community, the usually eloquent Chan gushes.

"I'd love to just be in a room with some people who really believed and had absolute faith in their prayers....who just wanted to obey the Scriptures and share their faith with whomever and disciple and just get in a group and pray like crazy, and go and talk about how God moved in our lives throughout the week, share Scriptures, and those type of things.  And that looks so different from your typical church service.  I think more and more people are hungering for the same thing I am.  As I read the Scriptures and feel led by the Spirit in a certain direction, it seems like other people are having that same restlessness."

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!  DAT WHAT I TAWKIN ABOUT.  Lets B da church!

No comments: