Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 12, 2011

Letter To An Interested Seeker

Last night at 180 we began a new focus and were kicking around the idea that we need to refocus on the vision of our local church.  We all need to focus in as a team and "do what we do well".  With that in mind we focused on getting everyone on the same page with the mission statement and how we go about accomplishing that.  We are beginning to break it down and our first focus is on equipping.  A second time visitor came up after church and mentioned their difficulty understanding what to do with all the choices in life.  Which direction to go and how to know.  It took me back to the benefits of being a believer in the Lord.  God has a way of simply directing us of our steps.  I thought the letter might be a help to someone else because I think so many people struggle with what this person struggles with.  Even Christians wrestle constantly with, "what does God want me to do?"  I am posting my response to our conversation...hope it helps somebody:

 I appreciate your sharing last night.  Thanks again for coming and I am glad that the Lord is speaking to your heart and as you shared, I was jumping up inside my heart for you to walk in the peace and clarity that God would have for you.

The way things go, as I have learned are fairly simple (yet complex).  When surrendering my life to the Lordship of Jesus at 19 I was so glad to know that my sins were forgiven and that I was in right relationship with God.  First of all that my need for grace and forgiveness was applied to my heart and conscience and secondly that my eternal situation was resolved.  I could not imagine an eternal hell that was reserved for me because of my sins and distance from God.  When I was saved of course I didn’t know jack.  My journey became to know this saving God. 

Years have passed now, but I have learned some simple truths that address life right where you seem to be right now.  What is my purpose?  What am I supposed to be doing on this ball?  What do I do?  There are so many options etc….

I have found that one of the greatest things to do before we start moving on and on and on from thing to thing, is to submit our life to the creator and the one who knows the plans that He has for us.

Jeremiah 29:11 was the scripture I wanted you to read that speaks to this:

11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.


This means to me that I can do it my way and try and fit fulfillment, success and pleasure in my own decision.  I am captain of my ship, my journey and my life.  Jesus often is viewed as this cosmic annoyance, interfering with people and making their life miserable by His holy ordinances and such.  I have found though that the byproducts of living in submission (that is a deep subject) to God, admitting that HE is the great planner and that He truly can handle my future, I begin to experience peace, joy and purpose.  That is more than an education, wife or job can ever give me.  SO the key is GETTING TO KNOW HIM!

That takes me to Romans 12.
1     I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

I preach a 2 hour sermon on this one :)….but simply God is saying, “give it up….give me your life, trust me….stop living like the world and start to give Me your life (body, plans, attitudes, etc…) and keep being renewed in your mind (by the study of God’s word…and allowing the thoughts of God’s word to take root in your head….making your thoughts stay on the things eternal and good and true, instead of fleshly, worldly and evil).  When this happens, God gives a promise in His word.  Do you see it?  THAT YOU MAY PROVE WHAT IS THAT GOOD AND ACCEPTABLE AND PERFECT WILL OF GOD.  That is what I am talking about.  Not aimless wandering, confusion, fear, uncertainty. 

Now don’t get me wrong, there is intense seeking, praying, asking, meditating in the presence of God…but it does come (remember Jeremiah 29…).  The Holy Spirit in every believer comforts and leads us into ALL TRUTH.  SO as a believer in Christ we can FULLY trust God to lead us into our calling, purpose, destiny and with that is FULFILLMENT! 

That is a .20 cent sermon, but if you can catch it, it will save you from countless hours and months and years of frustration.

Matthew 6:33 states: 
31   "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

We are learning that to seek God and His kingdom, His ways, His presence….we can trust that God will protect, provide and be our total carrier through life.

The essentiality of the Word of God is so key to understanding this truth.  I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak this to you.  I think it will greatly help our sermon next week on Equipping.  This is the process of growing in the knowing….that will give us what we need to be “equipped” to run this race.

Hope it makes sense and hope Sunday is another piece to bring you peace….

Excited to watch God move in your life.

Stuart

No comments: