Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 14, 2011

Don't UNBELIEVE

On Sunday I was talking about how God did so much to help the nation Israel as they traveled out of Egypt and wandered around the wilderness for forty years.  I have heard the hike they took was generally a very very short trip. It should have taken them DAYS to make the trip.  But because the people were so hard headed they never made it (at least the adults didn't....save two).  They all died in the wilderness.  

One of the interesting scriptures in Psalm 78 comes after God parts a sea, shows himself daily to the nation to remind them that He is with them through a daily cloud and a night fire in the sky.  He then splits rocks to water over 600,000 men plus women and children.  Can you imagine the water line?  You know they didn't have dixie cups.  After all of that provision, the people then say from what I can size in a very sarcastic tone in vs. 19, " “Can God really
   spread a table in the wilderness?".  I mean come on!  It is tough enough to feed a few hundred thousand people, more less in the middle of a desert!  I guess water from a rock and completely moving back water (into heaps) in order to move a nation away from the world's mightiest army and gushing water from rocks is small change to these guys.  I know what you might be thinking.... easy on the Hebrews!  The reality is that the New Testament writers implore us to look at them very closely (for an example!)  The answer to the sarcastic question of the Israeli's is YES I CAN (spread a table in the wilderness).  To those who can't seem to believe all that God did for nation Israel, then this post will more be amusing to you, but I still believe God did it!!!.  The question is "What does that matter for me?"  Everything.  In light of my life, situations, issues and challenges, I have found that I am simply not able to trust God enough.  I find ways to "unbelieve".  That is right, the red line is under that word because it is telling me that it is not a word.  But that is what I have to constantly guard against in my life.  Unbelieving God.  To believe God takes no hard work.  I mean you just take Him for what He says.  He loves me.  So many people can't seem to accept that. So they spend their time "unbelieving".  Many worry daily about their finances and future when God promises to provide for His children.  Unbelieving.  So often I wrestle with unbelieving God that it has been a smack in His face.  Lord I am sorry for unbelieving you, like the Israelites.  Help me to be believing and trust you for all that you say and will do.  And yes Lord, I do believe you can set a table for me in the wilderness (no sarcasm :) - Stuart


















No comments: