Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Baptized In The Spirit

It has been a week almost since the last post, and I can say that things are really picking up.  I have been blessed to celebrate my girls 9th birthday and get my other daughter kindergarten ready.   Soccer season is winding down and there is a lot of things vying for my time as usual.  It is so hard to prioritize, accept and reject things in life, but with this 10 week study on the Holy Spirit, I am once again getting back to basics.

In the picture in the post it shows a momentous occasion in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.  It is when at 30 years old, He was baptized by John.  The scripture reports that the Father opened the heavens and down descended a dove (The Holy Spirit) that rested on Christ as the Father speaks, "this is my Beloved Son."  Baptism of the Son, recognized by the Father and the sending forth of the Holy Spirit.  Wow, a power packed event for all time.  One of the few times we see Father, Son and Holy Spirit all in one show manifested in the earthly realm.  What it means for me is several things. 1) Without the Holy Spirit we have no power for ministry at all   I can't tell you I have always operated in the Spirit's power.  Many time my wife would say to me, "Stuart, you just ceased operating in the Spirit and started operating in the Stuart.  Operating in the Spirit means to have a heart of compassion and anointing.  Anointing as I understand it means ENABLING.  God makes us able for the task.  When it is impossible for man, nothing is impossible with God.  As I move forward looking to make an impact in the earth for Christ, I can rest in knowing that if He can, I can trust Him to, believe Him to, ask Him to, and watch Him perform!  2) If Jesus needed it, then I need it. Jesus was baptized in The Spirit, and it was the commencement of all His ministry.  After this scene we see the Spirit lead Him into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.  We then see Jesus endure the temptation by the power of the Spirit and be led forth to minister to all in POWER.  If Jesus needed that event then I surely need it too!  3) The Holy Spirit is a gift.   This week we will be discussing about how the Holy Spirit is a gift.  If The Spirit is given to us by God for His divine purpose, how much more should we receive Him in fulness and with all joy and expectation.

My prayer this week is:   Lord help us to wait on you, to be filled in you with power and to receive you and love to fellowship with your sweet Holy Spirit.

Stu-

No comments: