Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 6, 2011

Men Need Vision For Their Family

I was encouraged to pick up a book on manhood recently for discussion and prayer focus in a mens group that I am a part of. 

The book and the reading came at a perfect time in my life.  My oldest J is 10 and Alex is 9; little Syd is heading into Kindergarten this fall. 

I think like anything we need reminding of how important it is that we as men, BE MEN.  And for most of us, like anything else, we don't know how.  Stu Weber writes for all of us men who desire to be better men, husbands and fathers in his compelling book, "Tender Warrior; God's Intention for a Man."  I will share some thoughts and excerpts from his book as I am moved to in the following weeks....  some of it will be convicting which is what I think is missing much from our flesh satisfying worldly sick culture of ease in America.... conviction causes perspective and hopefully change...  here is the first excerpt about a grown woman reflecting on life with an absent father:

"Normally a very funny lady, Erma Bombeck describes her own childhood that wasn't so funny.  She talks about a dad who failed to focus, who evidently failed as a provisionary.  Yes, he "provided" in the material sense, but apparently gave little or no attention to the most profound aspects of provision.  He had very limited contact with his family and, as is obvious from her comments, remained a complete mystery to his little daughter.  'One morning my father didn't get up and go to work.  He went to the hospital and died the next day.  I hadn't thought that much about him before.  He was just someone who left and came home and seemed glad to see everyone.  He opened the jar of pickles when no one else could.  He was the only one in the house who wasn't afraid to go into the basement by himself.  Whenever i played house, the mother doll  had a lot to do.  I never knew what to do with the daddy doll, so I had him say, 'I'm going off to work now'; and I put him under the bed.'  The funeral was in our living room, and a lot of people came and brought all kinds of good food and cakes.  We never had so much company before.  I went to my room and felt under the bed for the daddy doll, and when I found him, I dusted him off and put him on my bed.  He never did anything.  I didn't know his leaving would hurt so much."  Weber quotes Helen Keller:  "Keller, blind and deaf from infancy, was asked what she regarded as the worst of handicaps.  The questioner asked, 'is there anything worse than blindness?"  "Oh yes!" she responded, "A person with sight and no vision."

My prayer Lord....don't let me miss it like this daddy!  Give us as men VISION for our family and our lives beyond existing.  Help us to LIVE LORD!  - Stu


No comments: